Make it easier to serve a nourishing morning meal with these healthy breakfast recipes for kids. These are the BEST breakfast ideas for kids they’ll love to eat! You’ll find quick and easy recipes and ideas for eggs, dairy, waffles, pancakes, French toast, muffins, oatmeal and more.
Breakfast Recipes for Kids
Getting that morning meal onto the table and into the kids can feel so daunting (especially if you’re short on sleep from nighttime with the kids!). But having a list of go-to recipes that are easy, healthy, and picky-eater-approved can be a big giant help.
Use this list to take the work out of coming up with healthy breakfast recipes for your entire family, little kids included.
Best Breakfasts with Kids
These breakfast recipes include whole grains, minimal amounts of added sugar, are easy to make and chew, and have flavors that the kids will enjoy. Most of them can also be prepared in advance if you like to meal prep recipes ahead of time.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Kids
Each week, I try to make at least one breakfast recipe ahead of time so I can have a quick option on hand. Then, I can work in some other easy foods like cereal and yogurt.
If you aim to include 1-2 food groups per breakfast as your minimum, you can relax in knowing that the chances of your kids getting a balanced mix of nutrients over the course of the entire day are good.
TIP: You can add fruit, milk, or an easy whole grain side like toast or cereal to round out recipes as needed.
Breakfast Recipes for Eggs
Start the day with protein-packed meals for kids with these healthy egg recipes. Each is easy to make and can be made in advance. There are great options here for babies, toddlers, and parents!
- Mini Egg Cups with Zucchini and Cheese
- Mini Egg Muffins with Veggies
- Egg Muffins with Bacon
- Mexican Egg Muffins with Spinach
- 30 Second Scrambled Eggs
- 1 Minute Soft-Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Hard Cooked Eggs
- Easy Veggie Frittata
- Breakfast Quesadillas
- Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos
TIP: You can make all of these ahead of time and store in the fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container. (Though follow the instructions for storage in the Breakfast Burrito recipe.)
Breakfast Recipes for Kids with Dairy
Yogurt, kefir, milk, cottage cheese…all are great options to provide calcium, vitamin D and protein at the morning meal. And most dairy recipes are super easy to make too!
- Overnight Oats with Applesauce
- Overnight Oats with Yogurt and Berries
- Greek Yogurt Overnight Oats with Mango
- Strawberry Drinkable Yogurt
- Easy Yogurt Parfaits
- Healthy Pancakes with Carrots and Yogurt
- Cottage Cheese Dip with fruit
- Cottage Cheese Smoothie
- Fruit on the Bottom Yogurt
- Yogurt with Granola
- Cottage Cheese with Granola Sprinkles
TIP: Choose whole milk dairy when possible for kids since they need the fat for proper development.
Smoothie Recipes for Kids
Pack in produce, protein, and yummy flavor all in one easy to drink recipe with these kid-friendly smoothie recipes. Serve them in a cup or a reusable pouch.
- Hidden Veggie Smoothies
- Simple Green Smoothie
- Cherry Banana Smoothie
- Banana Blueberry Smoothie
- Pumpkin Chocolate Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Chocolate Smoothie with Hidden Veggies
- Mango Smoothie Recipe
- Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Watermelon Smoothie
TIP: For any reluctant smoothie drinkers, try asking them what color they’d like to make, let them add the ingredients to the blender, and start with a very small portion to avoid overwhelming them.
Easy Breakfast Recipes for Waffles, Pancakes, and French Toast
These breakfast recipes may seem like weekend staples, but having a stash of leftovers or extras in the fridge can be such a giant help come busy weekdays!
- 2-Ingredient Pancakes
- Fresh Apple Pancakes
- Applesauce Pancakes
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- Carrot Pancakes
- Spinach Banana Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Healthy Chocolate Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Raspberry Waffles
- Mini Vanilla Whole Wheat Waffles
- Banana Waffles
- Banana French Toast Sticks
- Eggnog French Toast Sticks
TIP: To freeze leftover pancakes and waffles, let cool fully on a wire rack, then freeze in a gallon size zip top bag with pieces of parchment in between each so they don’t freeze together.
Healthy Breakfast Bars
Grab-and-go breakfast bars, granola bars, and oatmeal bars are a nutritious (and easy!) way to start the day for kids and parents alike.
- Healthy Breakfast Bars
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars
- Best Soft Granola Bars
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Banana Oatmeal Bread
- Apple Oatmeal Bars
- Lower Sugar Banana Bread
- Lower Sugar Pumpkin Bread
TIP: Each of these can be frozen so you can stash half of a batch for later in the month if you’d like.
Best Healthy Muffin Recipes
Pick a flavor profile you and the kids enjoy and bake up a batch of healthy muffins with whole grains and minimal added sugars.
- Mini Applesauce Muffins
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Banana Zucchini Muffins with Blueberries
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Vegan Banana Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Muffins with Oats
- Carrot Cake Muffins
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
- Chocolate Protein Muffins with Hidden Veggies
- Healthy Strawberry Muffins
- Sweet Green Spinach Banana Muffins
- Mini Pumpkin Muffins
- Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Mini Cinnamon Muffins
- Yogurt Muffins
TIP: You can store these muffins in the fridge or freezer for future easy meals.
Best Oatmeal Recipes
Oatmeal is easy and packed with the healthy complex carbs that kids (and adults!) need, and these recipes are toddler-approved. And check out my baby oatmeal recipe here.
- Apple Raisin Oatmeal
- Easy Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Steel Cut Oatmeal with Apples
- Oatmeal with Butternut Squash
- Baby Oatmeal
- Oatmeal with Fruit
- Banana Bread Oatmeal
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal
TIP: You can make any of these ahead of time, store in the fridge, and reheat on weekday mornings.
Favorite Quick Breakfast Recipes for Kids
Healthy breakfasts for kids don’t have to take forever to prepare! Here are some of my favorite quick and easy ideas.
- Yogurt, Granola, fruit
- Cottage cheese, Granola, fruit
- Cereal, milk, banana
- Cereal, kefir, blueberries
- Cereal, applesauce pouch
- Smoothie, granola bar
- Smoothie, whole grain muffin
- Granola bar, milk
- Egg muffins, fruit
- Egg muffins, toast
- Hard cooked egg, toast
- 30-Second Scrambled egg, toast, raspberries
- Toast, nut butter, banana
- Toast, mashed sweet potato, cinnamon
- Toast, mashed avocado, milk
- Whole grain muffin, milk
- Whole grain muffin, milk, banana
- Oatmeal with raisins and milk
- Oatmeal with banana and milk
What’s your favorite healthy breakfast recipe for kids? Chime in below to add it if I didn’t include it on my list!
This post was first published December 2019.